What exactly is a Scientific Outreach Program Manager? In truth, we’re not completely sure. What we do know is that our lab believes passionately in crowdsourcing, and engaging crowds is a lot of work. Our existing lab members do an amazing job developing the technical infrastructure. But more and more we’re realizing that direct human engagement must also be a key part of our strategy.
With that realization, we’re looking to bring in a new team member with increased bandwidth and complementary skills. This position will touch a wide range of our current projects. For example:
- Solicit and coordinate Gene Wiki – GENE submissions
- Gene Wiki evangelism on Wikipedia and Wikidata
- Manage the BioGPS help desk
- Develop TopCoder specs for upcoming biology contests
- Manage website development for the ExRNA Portal
- Organizing usability tests for BioGPS
- Citizen Science evangelism for Mark2Cure
- Blog posts on anything/everything
The main criteria for the job are the same as the ones we’ve mentioned before: awesomeness and matching interests. If you’ve done great work in the past, and you’re interested in crowdsourcing and the projects above, please apply!
The formal job posting is at https://careers.scripps.edu/postings/2248.