2016 – A busy year for Gene Wiki and WikiDataPosted by ginger on Dec 26, 2016 in big data, biocuration, conference, Gene Wiki, poster, presentation, publication, semantic wikipedia, wiki, Wikidata, wikipedia | 0 comments
I knew it! Last year, I struggled with the year-end post for the Gene Wiki/WikiData (AKA the Gene WikiData) project because the Gene WikiData team was incredibly active. I learned my lesson, and attempted to better track their activity earlier this year with a running tally. Still, the Gene WikiData team was so productive, I still had trouble keeping up with everything they did! They’ve been busy on this project–so much so, that it makes more sense to list their presentations, papers, slides; as opposed to trying to actually describe everything they’ve done this year. So here it is (and I’m probably missing things here and there), a non-exhaustive list of the Gene WikiData team’s activity (and this is only the activity of the project members here in La Jolla). I can’t even begin to cover the crazy amount of work the team members outside of La Jolla have put into this project.
You can see what they’ve done yourself by inspecting the linked, papers, presentations, slides:
- 2016.02.01: Sebastian’s paper accepted: Wikidata as a semantic framework for the Gene Wiki initiative
- 2016.02.19: Tim’s Paper accepted Centralizing content and distributing labor: a community model for curating the very long tail of microbial genomes
- 2016.04.04: BioHackathon proposal accepted. (one of 3 accepted out of 22 total submissions)
- 2016.04.11: Sebastian’s BioCuration 2016 poster
- 2016.04.13: Sebastian, Tim, and Ben’s BioCuration 2016 Workshop
- 2016.04.11: Tim’s BioCuration 2016 presentation
- 2016.04.18: Tim wins best poster award at Force11 2016
- 2016.05.20: Julia switched all gene infoboxes in Gene Wiki to the new wikidata-based infobox
- 2016.06.07: Gene Wiki Review Series editorial published
- 2016.06.08: Elsevier Connect post on Gene Wiki Review series editorial published
- 2016.06.12: Tim Putman Biohackathon 2016 presentation
- 2016.08.01: Ben’s Wikidata talk (slides here) for BioCreative. Paper here.
- 2016.08.23: Greg’s Cytoscape/Wikidata tool is released. View demo here.
- 2016.10.08: Tim’s Presentation at WikiConference North America, 2016. Video here.
- 2016.10.08: Sebastian’s Presentation at WikiConference, North America, 2016. Video here.
- 2016.10.08: Greg’s Presentation at WikiConference, North America, 2016.
- 2016.10.17: Andrew presents about Gene Wiki/Wikidata and Mark2Cure at TSRI seminar
Want to help? Here’s a really quick/easy way to do so: Join the WikiData property proposal discussion on Natural Science properties. The team has been requesting new properties in order to add/expand the information in Wikidata so it can become more useful. Properties need plenty of discussion and refinement in order to be approved, so chime in!