We are happy to announce that the MyGene.info Version 2 Application Programming Interface (API) is now live. In the v2 API, we have rebuilt the core framework, which increases both data capacity and query performance significantly.
For those who are unfamiliar, MyGene.info provides simple-to-use REST web services to query/retrieve gene annotation data. It’s designed with simplicity and performance emphasized. When you make any query or display a gene-report page on BioGPS, BioGPS sends the request to MyGene.info web services for gene resolution. Just like BioGPS, developers can use this API in any web or desktop applications, or just in a quick analysis script. That way, they don’t have to worry about building and maintaining their own gene annotation databases. Currently, MyGene.info handles ~15 million requests every month (averaging almost six requests per second!). And we are confident that is just a small fraction of its current capacity.
If you’d like to give the new API a try, check out the online interactive API page.
What’s new in v2 API
- ALL species are supported now! That’s about 12,000 in total. You can use “species” parameter to filter down to your preferred species. [more]
- Gene annotation data are even more up-to-date (weekly updates).
- Gene query service supports “fields” parameter to return any fields. Previously, you need to call gene query service separately if you need more than gene symbols and names.
- Fine-tuned query algorithm to return relevant gene hits first.
- Our query backend is more scalable and extensible. Ready to expand more annotation data as we go.
If you are currently using v1 API, the migration to v2 is very easy. More details can be found here: Migration guide from v1 to v2 API .
Third-party packages using MyGene.info services:
- MyGene.py – Python client for MyGene.info services
- MyGene.autocomplete – Gene query autocomplete widget built on JQueryUI’s autocomplete widget
Any feedback goes to email@example.com. If you are using MyGene.info web services, please also drop us a line to tell us about your experience. We’d love to know how developers are using these services to make sure we continue to serve your needs!